MBA Cutie...

Life on the road to Ross School of Business at U of M... GO BLUE!

Friday, January 06, 2006

GAAP-less

I have survived another year end close! We are not completely done, but the ledger is closed. Now the analysis lies ahead of us, but at least that I can handle. I’m not so keen on the adrenaline rush that is close.

Some interesting observations about creating financials in a company that doesn’t comply with GAAP:

(1) Direct write offs are ok.
(2) There is only one accrual account for the entire division. (And yes, it miraculously gets reconciled.)
(3) When you get credits back that your budget groups don’t know about, don’t tell them, so the CFO can drop the monies to the bottom line if they need them later. Or, your team can use the money later to buy IPODs for everyone.
(4) If the reserve gets too high, move some of it to prepaid.
(5) If it doesn’t match the budget, just accrue.
(6) Back-up is for suckers and auditors.

I am most excited to have my life back. I already have a plan for tomorrow:

9:00 Wake up
9:30 – 10:30 Gym
10:30 – 12:30 Library/ Grocery/ Errands
12:30 – 7:00 FREE TIME – clean, write, watch DEVDAS
7:00 – 2:00 Out on the town

I am SUCH a planner.

4 Comments:

At 10:29 PM , Blogger qzoink said...

Shift all the times late by 2 hours and you'll get my plan!

Actually, shift all the times late by 2 hours, then throw out everything except the first and last items, and you'll get my revised plan!

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger Marina said...

hahaha @ moving reserves to prepaids. That is such a classic move :)

I am working today =/ I hate reconciling inventory

 
At 12:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let us know if you get lucky :)

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger sorebrek said...

Switching from FIFO to LIFO, while dropping the monies and discounting it for debt servicing while stepping on the Accelerated Cost Recovery System!

Can you do that? Sounds dangerous ;-)

And the computer nerds get all the grief for talking in code.

Good plan though. I'm still reeling from the excesses of last night.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home