MBA Cutie...

Life on the road to Ross School of Business at U of M... GO BLUE!

Thursday, January 05, 2006

CRAZY Day

Have you ever had one of those crazy days at work where you just feel like you got raped? You know, where things just go so fast and you don't even realize what's happening? Before you know it, it's over, and you still have no clue what just happened. I always have a day or two like that during year end. Well last year, I can't say that a day like that really happened. Last year, I was in the world wide consolidations group of a $40 billion+ corporation where I had annual report footnote responsibility, corporate acquisitions accounting (NOT FUN when everything is in Euros or Pounds or Reals, or currencies I hadn't even heard of), and worked on SEC filings. It wasn't over fast… that's all I can say. I spent a LOT of time in the bathroom destressing and hoping I didn't come back to my desk with red eyes. The last thing I needed was sr. management thinking I was freaking out. I have to say, this year is better. At least the major torture will end after this week, and then it should taper off completely by the end of the month. Last year, it lasted through February. This year I am actually allowed to take my President's day holiday.

Speaking of president's day.. I'm not sure yet what to do about it. Continental is having this crazy great deal for $320 from EWR to Amsterdam. I haven't been there in 4 years, so now I am seriously contemplating a re-visit for four days… I was planning on taking a trip to Montreal/Quebec with someone for Carnaval, but I’m not sure that it will work out. Amsterdam doesn't really have a carnaval, but it’s a lovely city, and it's off season, and I may just catch the very beginning of the tulips. I could catch the train, spend a day in Brussels. It's sort of nice to plan a few cute winter trips. The snow out here makes going out virtually impossible during the winter, so It's not even like really spending too much money to go. I can just relax at home the other weekends in February. If not, Amsterdam, Paris maybe? I would love to go to Hamburg (friend there) or Milan (friend there, too), but the tickets are so much more expensive. Paris I haven't properly explored since I was 13. I may still try to push the montreal trip…. I have never been there and would LOVE to go. But Montreal is too platonic to go alone. Any thoughts?

8 Comments:

At 5:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting explanation of rape:

"where you just feel like you got raped? You know, where things just go so fast and you don't even realize what's happening? Before you know it, it's over, and you still have no clue what just happened. I always have a day or two like that during year end"

 
At 7:06 PM , Blogger MBA Cutie said...

explanation of rape:

Really just so disoriented and have no real clue as to what is going on... you feel a bit battered, abused, and confused all at once!

 
At 9:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see what you mean.. I mean, I bet my best friend from high school who had her virginity raped from her by an abusive boyfriend and was raped on a regular basis (under the threat that if she told anyone, he would kill her) until she gained the strength to tell someone and have him arrested would totally understand your analogy between her situation and your day at work. I mean, after all, you both cried a little bit, you both felt emotionally scarred... Yeah, you guys totally went through the same emotional and physical turmoil.

 
At 2:39 PM , Blogger Marina said...

Don't you love it when people take your words and your way of defining something and twist it around to try an make some point that nobody even cares about? I am sure your post was meant to insult Amber and her poor friend, though at no point did I see you equating yourself to the physical trauma or a rape victim.

I do know what you mean about the job though. I went through the busy season in public accounting. The 15 hour days when you get no overtime and you feel totally taken advantage of by the company. The days when you wake up only to go to work, eat at your desk, come home at midnight only to go back to bed, and repeat it all for 3 weeks straight. You wonder why you don't just stand up to your job and then realize that nobody will listen.

Amber and Anon should consult a dictionary sometimes when they are unsure of the meaning of the words.

rape ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rp)
n.
1.The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.

2.The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.

3.Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.


hmmm...looks to me like the third definition is pretty fitting.

 
At 2:41 PM , Blogger Marina said...

p.s. I feel zero rejection. I didn't put as much passion into the Kellogg essays - hence the result :)

 
At 3:35 PM , Blogger MBA Cutie said...

Thank you, Marina! OMG! I SO did not realize that everyone out there takes everything so literally. At UCLA, any time we had a particularly hard final people would say “Dude, man, I got RAPED.” Some even managed to say something more graphic, but since I seem to be so good at offending people, I will just refrain. I didn’t realize that I had to regularly explain any and all uses of a word that are not the first definition in Webster’s.

Also, congrats again on CBS! You will be so happy there! I just know it! :)

 
At 5:19 PM , Blogger Marina said...

From now on after every questionable word you can put in parenthesis the number of the definition :)

 
At 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, whoever that amber person is is completely RETARDED, BLIND, and probably a MIDGET. Is that enough offensive words in one comment?

I hear you on the difficult day...sounds like my every day at work. I get the sense that the higher up the food chain you get, the more your days are that way. You just learn to deal with it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home