MBA Cutie...

Life on the road to Ross School of Business at U of M... GO BLUE!

Friday, December 09, 2005

Nor-Easter

It's only people in the North East that are pretentious enough to go name a natural occurance that doesn't even originate in the North East after themselves. I had the opportunity to experience my first "Nor-Easter" last winter. For those of you, like me, who have grown up somewhere outside of the North East, a "Nor-Easter" is not an early Easter or upstate New York's answer to the ambominable snow man. Rather, it's strong blizzard, usually making its way down from Canada, carrying lots of cold air and snow. This makes me wonder, if such a blizzard is called a "Nor-Easter", then why wasn't Hurricane Katrina a South-Easter? The El Nino affect should be a South Wester. A tornado in Oklahoma? That's a Mid-Wester.

Regardless of what you call it, the Nor-Easter sweeps down on the tri-state area, causing snow days, early dismissals, and traffic nightmares wherever you go. Last year, the governor of New Jersey actually proclaimed that we were in a "state of emergency." Oddly enough, despite this announcement, my office didn't release us until three hours later. According to my manager, any time there is snow in New Jersey, there is a state of emergency, "That's to keep all the wackos off the road." But, who keeps them off the road when there isn't snow?

In the excitement of my first snowfall ever, I rushed out the door to make a snow angel. Okay, so it was on the corporate lawn, but I don't think anyone but my Banana Republic pants really minded. I came home, cuddled up with my blanket, made hot cocoa, and watched the snow fall. It was just like what I remembered from the Christmas specials on TV. I woke up the next morning to go outside and see yellow spots all over the snow. So much for a "white" winter.

2 Comments:

At 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have no idea what you are talking about. go research why it is call a nor'easter...........and you sound like a pretty annoying person!

 
At 3:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really do enjoy reading your blog but i agree with anonymous #1 - you need to do some research. I have lived in the suburbs of NYC all my life & now live/work in NYC. That is not the defintion of a nor'easter. I never in my life have heard of one originating from Canada (the majority sure don't) - a lot come from the south. Also, when a state of emergency is declared it refers more to roads with Nor'easters. It can be snowing like crazy and I can tell you I won't be let off from work.

Question for you - I know you are South Asian, r u of Indian or Pakistani descent? or something else.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home