MBA Cutie...

Life on the road to Ross School of Business at U of M... GO BLUE!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Texting -- the wave of a new generation

Now that I have one, I could never give up my cell phone. There have been times that I ventured out of my apartment without it, and actually turned around, from 15 miles away, to go back and get it. I have a pink razor which I got almost two months ago. I still get annoyed that it's not as small and convenient as my last phone, but it has great color features and it's the first time I've ever had a camera on my phone. The sales girl at the Verizon counter convinced me to purchase a "text message" package, in addition to my usual $39.95 per month service fee. I figured, what the hell, my last phone was awful with texting, so why not try this thing out.

All of a sudden, I have a new hobby. Why call someone when you can text? It's like instantaneous, straight to your palm, email. No lengthy phone conversation, no small talk. Just "are you here yet?", "where are you?", "you busy?", or "wear something hot and come over". The next discovery is, why drunk dial when you can drunk text? You can send a message to your entire contact list within a matter of seconds, so everyone out there knows about your inebriated state.

I admit, I'm guilty of using a text when I feel non-committal. It's so much easier to just text someone and say "running late" or "can't make it after all". One of my girlfriends was dating this guy who refused to ever call her. Everything with him was a about sending a text message. Even when she was lost trying to find his apartment, he refused to pick up the phone but text messaged her directions. Finally, she grew tired of it. She tried to call him to break up, but no avail. So, she sent him a text message that said "Baby, it's over." What's worse: A text message break-up or an AIM one? Or maybe Carrie's "post-it" from Berger trumps them all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home