MBA Cutie...

Life on the road to Ross School of Business at U of M... GO BLUE!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

From Russia, With Love

AHH! I did it again. I was in a rush to send an email to someone at work and I signed the email “love” instead of “thanks”. Why do I do this? Just last week I sent a form to our tax department and on the note I attached, I actually signed off with a “Love, MBA Cutie.” People at work must think I’m insane. It wouldn’t be the first time, though.

A week into my first job out of college, I get an anniversary card passed to me from the cube next door. It turns out that someone in our department was celebrating their 20th anniversary. In my youthful ignorance, I didn’t realize there is such a thing as a service anniversary, so I signed the card “I hope your love will last forever – MBA Cutie.” Of course, I was thinking this was a wedding anniversary! I asked the admin organizing the event if they were inviting the husband of the celebrator. She gave me a puzzled glance and said, she supposed she could. Ok, that was weird.

The event day came and as I was eating, I heard a speech from our CFO of how much he appreciated the last twenty years of service that so-and-so had provided. WHOOPS! Next the card was read aloud. The most memorable comment was, “Regarding work:
There were a lot of emotions that have surfaced about work for the past twenty years. I can’t really say love was one of them.” I can’t really say that either.

5 Comments:

At 2:34 PM , Blogger Vikram said...

CFO in the next meeting with managers/leaders - how many times I said that personal life and professional life are different - no love .. no love ... in the office permises :D

Guys, who got that signature mail - there is still some HOPE ;)

btw .. time for you to shift gears with the .....

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger BigAppleNosh said...

Omg, I just did that yesterday! I felt so flustered afterwards. Luckily, the recipient didn't notice (or more likely, chose not to tease me about it).

 
At 3:37 PM , Blogger ... said...

I had a sales job my first year out of college, spent lots of time cold calling. I definitely left a couple of voicemails that ended with "Thanks, and I look forward you hearing back from you. Love you, KT." Funny...

 
At 8:24 PM , Blogger Marina said...

Classic. My old boss thought that LOL stood for Lots of Love so every time I typed LOL to her in our ims she probably thought i was insane!

 
At 8:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

things that we do mechanically ... there are certain things in our life which are so redundant like saying "..with love" .. that we don't realize when we say it is just as saying hi to the person who walk past you in your office and you dont know that person ... its mechanical .. it is usually not a consious decision .. right? .. so it makes me ask .. when we say i love you to the person we mean to say those 3 words .. do we really mean it or is just one of those mechanical things? i know sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't ..but the latter is scary .. anyhow just a thought :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home