MBA Cutie...

Life on the road to Ross School of Business at U of M... GO BLUE!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Neurotic

I'm finding it really fascinating how I have been able to pick up so many weird neuroses as it gets closer and closer to decisions day. These include but are not limited to:

(1) Rampant Caller ID Verification - Every time my phone rings I jump up and grab it hoping to see a long distance area code. Then when I see it is my mom, my best friend, or some other person whom I already know, I can't help but sigh and think "Why do they have to call right now and stop the admissions office from getting through?" Last week, a random area code did appear on my phone. But it turns out that it wasn't an admissions office. Rather it was from some guy I met at a bar in New York a few weeks ago and he finally got the guts to call. I should have been excited, but instead I was annoyed. Why is he calling during the witching hour?

(2) Witching Hour Anxiety - Between 5pm and 9pm EST every day for the past few weeks I cannot concentrate on anything but watching my cell phone and obsessively checking my email. The largest number of acceptance phone calls surface during this time. Also, the largest number of "ding" emails appear during this time as well.

(3) Email Paranoia - I cannot decide if I want to receive a "status change" email or not. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are bad. Of course I would prefer a phone call. No one is going to call you and tell you that you didn't get in. It's like when you had a so-so date but are not interested enough to really answer the phone when the guy calls, but you know you have to say something. So you just send an email.

(4) Message Board Mania - I suddenly have this compulsive need to check the BW message boards every hour, on the hour, to see if any of my fellow applicants have received notification or even any other SHRED of information coming out of an admissions office. While not guilty of asking "when are you going to release the decisions?", I am incredibly thankful for the souls out there with the audacity to do it. If it weren't for you all, I would have probably eaten an entire box of Lindt truffles just to calm myself. Oh wait. I did that anyways.

8 Comments:

At 1:30 PM , Blogger laserlikefocus said...

Damn, I thought the witching hour ended at 5 PM local school time. You have just extended my worrying by a few hours :)

 
At 2:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only do I feel compelled to check the BW boards obsessively, but I've also been looking for updates on your blog, hoping maybe you'd heard from K yet... well, fingers crossed for us both... may today be a phone-ringing day!

 
At 4:07 PM , Blogger FooBarMe said...

Ah, the perils of waiting!! At least hearing other peoples experiences make me feel a tab bit better about myself...

Best of luck..i am sure it will a phone call and not the dreaded status change email:)

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Marina said...

Good luck with Kellogg!

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Marina said...

Thank you! I'll be buggig you for NY related things shortly :)

 
At 2:53 PM , Blogger qzoink said...

hahaha, you nailed the title - "Neurotic"! I am on the other extreme, sometimes I forget that I applied to bschools, until a well wisher asks me about my status.

 
At 4:20 PM , Blogger Single said...

man, I have had these neurotic tendencies since I hit the "submit" button. I need instant gratification!!

Good luck with all of it...

 
At 5:55 PM , Blogger sorebrek said...

DOSA sounds fabulous - let's shoot for after the 22nd, which is when I get back home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home