MBA Cutie...

Life on the road to Ross School of Business at U of M... GO BLUE!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

NYC Bloggers UNITE @ Spice Market

To all the NYC Bloggers ---
So far, for our event on the April 14th, we have the following attendees:

MBA Cutie
Marina
mbaforme
wheresmydessert
MBA Jackass
redwolf056
Moe
Vikram
Yolande
ZB
Q Zoink
Tycoon (tentative)

But there is a dilema --- Spice Market will not take reservations of more than 8 people at dinner, and currently, for 8 people, we'd either have to seat at 6:30pm or 10:30pm on that day. HOWEVER, we can take a semi-private room if we have 9 or more bloggers (or invitees to attend) -- which I think we do. The catch is, there is a minimum spend of $50 / person (which in NYC --- is really, really easy to do!!!). Also, the spend is collective... meaning if one person spends $60 and another $40, that is ok, too.

I need your feedback ... either here, or email me... to go ahead with a reservation in the semi-private room at 8:00 or 8:30pm, or should we select somewhere else that can take all of us with no spend limits, or just limit our get together to 8 people for a 10:30pm dinner. Other suggestions I have are... Level V/Vento, Dos Caminos, Churasscaria Plataforma, Peep (less $$), Ruby Foos (less $$)... of course, please offer other suggestions as well.

Other info about Spice Market, it's a Jean Georges restaurant (www.jean-georges.com) in the meat-packing district, and has been immensely popular since its openning. It features a wide variety of south asian street food, the drinks are unique and spectacular, and the bar is quite happening, but near impossible to get to in the evenings without a reservation.

19 Comments:

At 11:16 AM , Blogger Vikram said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. And good to know that your brother also has the same first name. Infact we had 6 guys in my undergrad batch with the same first name and as nicknames are more famous than the actual names, we are not in much of an identity crisis.

NYC Meet - Please let me in :)

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Forrest Gump said...

wish I was in NYC too :)

how come Marina is attending parties all across ? ( probably a question for her, but maybe you have already asked)

 
At 12:06 PM , Blogger Vikram said...

Spice Market is fine with me.

Actually thought Spice Market is the default option. I didn't have any preference as such as I didn't go to any of them and I am open to exploring new places.

Forrest gump - Marina is coming for the Columbia Open house at that time.

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger i_will_make_it said...

Aww, sounds like a blast! Have fun in NY! Marina is definitely lucky she gets to meet bloggers on both coasts! *jealous* lol. :-)

Have fun!!

 
At 2:32 PM , Blogger MBA Jackass said...

i know i paid more than $50 for dinner right around the corner at paradou last friday, so i think it makes sense to reserve the party room. maybe you can bring that 17 year old guy you're dating to help fill out our table :)

if we're short a person i'm sure i can find a non-blogger to bring along.

the only potential concern here is that some of us might wind up at unexpected admit weekends...how ironclad is this reservation once you make it?

 
At 3:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

NYS reservations are iron clad. I missed a reservation once and had to use a new name and credit card. Most major restaurants are hooked up into a system and they know who you are from caller ID.

MBA Cutie - I cool with Spice Market. Love the food there. I also like Ruby Foo's and Dos Caminos or any of the BR Restaurants. $50 in NY with dinner and drinks is nothing. All you folks heading to Columbia should get used to it.

 
At 3:13 PM , Blogger MBA Cutie said...

It's pretty iron clad... I will not be able to go to spice market anymore if we cancel it. :( Also, I have to hold the reservation with my credit card, at the rate of $50 per person on my reservation. I agree.. i think $50 for dinner and drinks is nothing...

What admit weekend is going on that weekend?

I also think I can safely cancel it within 2 weeks, as I have talked to the guy in charge of the private sections a couple of times for other events, so hopefully by then, people will know what's going on.

 
At 3:21 PM , Blogger MBA Jackass said...

ok - i'll know everything (or nothing) by 3/30 at the latest so we can definitely do this. let me know if you want to share the burden of holding the reservation or any other planning...

 
At 3:35 PM , Blogger Kelly Winters said...

I can commit to $50 and dinner -- hooray! Thanks for coordinating!

 
At 4:02 PM , Blogger BigAppleNosh said...

I am fine w/ the $50 min for Spice Market - I agree that that's not too outrageous in NYC. Of course the other places sound good too! =o) So pretty much, anything works for me.

 
At 4:41 PM , Blogger qzoink said...

Hey! If I'm not among the 2 people you did't add yet, please add me to the list.

The private room idea sounds good, although, it'll be nice if the reservation isn't ironclad and we can accommodate last-min schedule changes.

 
At 5:01 PM , Blogger Marina said...

I am in all the way!!!

 
At 7:01 PM , Blogger MJ said...

i'll be the creepy guy at the bar checking you out :). how'll i get to that packed bar on a Friday evening without a reservation you might ask? cuz "i know sombody that know somebody that know somebody".

 
At 9:54 PM , Blogger MBA Cutie said...

Le Souk is good.. but I had a really really bad incident there in January 2005.... since then, I have not returned. I wouldn't mind going there to dance or drink, but to eat... ahhh bad memories!

 
At 1:37 AM , Blogger Marina said...

LOL @ "too old to date MBA Cutie, alas"


This is going to be so great!

 
At 4:48 AM , Blogger brownoski said...

So much fun planned, wrong weekend for me. I should be in the New York area on the weekend of April 21-22 (Yale Admit Weekend) and am staying with a buddy who's at Columbia on 22-23. Anyone interested on meeting up on Sunday April 23?

 
At 10:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could attend. I read all of you guys' blogs and I would love to put faces with the names. Anyway, have fun!!!

 
At 1:03 PM , Blogger SG said...

Hey lets have a Bangalore meet if you are coming to town!

 
At 12:52 AM , Blogger MBA Jackass said...

all right - looks like we have a solid group here. the semi-private room should be perfect. also, i just had a promising match.com date tonight so i may need to get mba cutie's approval for a plus 1 :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home